Writing an Excellent Thesis Discussion
A thesis forms an essential aspect of education for undergraduate and postgraduate students; it qualifies them for convocation during graduation. The academic research paper contains different sections, and key among them entails the thesis discussion segment. It becomes essential for any successful thesis, though it often becomes a challenge to accomplish owing to its open nature. So how can you go about writing this section to ensure it becomes effective as possible?
Before getting to understand the mechanisms of writing a thesis discussion, it becomes crucial to understand why it exists in the first place. A thesis discussion aims to interpret the results, discuss the importance of the results, place your work into the context of earlier work, discuss the study's limitations, and suggest the subsequent steps to propel the comprehension and enhancement of real-world situations.
The section should expound on concepts presented in your dissertation introduction, literature review, and the results. However, it can at times touch on the methods and materials. It has to convince the audience of the study's worth.
- Consider completing the results by describing them in the past tense. Additionally, use the present tense to describe concepts that appear current and true founded on existing evidence. Further, an outstanding thesis discussion will progress from discussing the specific results to the broader concepts discussion.
- Include citations besides the modifying statements as required. Additionally, incorporate suggestions for future research, and with these, you can use the present tense to describe them.
- Interpret your results (discussion part one). Make your discussion directly relatable to your study's research question. The discussion segment typically follows your results segment, so state your conclusion based on the results at this point.
Two strategies exist when it comes to the structure of the discussion of your results. Firstly, discuss the outcomes in a similar sequence as presented in the outcomes section. Alternatively, you may decide to discuss the most intriguing results first before doing the rest. It becomes effective whenever the results prove novel. However, the goal of the manuscript has to keep your audience engaged.
- Discuss the implication of your study results (Discussion part two). You have to explain clearly the gains obtained from the study. Sometimes, a review can become significant, while other times, the results can only prove the treatments that cannot work, especially for masters and undergraduate levels. It arises from the few months of data collection and which become available for analysis.
Further, discuss the possibilities that the study opens up. However, try and refrain from overstating. Additionally, try and become realistic in your optimism, whether the study results prove highly significant or otherwise.Discussing the implication of the outcomes implies an extension of the results' meaning and might not need a separate section.
- Contextualize your work in a setting of earlier work. It becomes essential to put your research into a wider context. Here, try and revisit previously published studies that you described in the literature review and introduction sections.After that, clarify how your study expands on the yet accomplished work or how it challenges previous work. Importantly though, try and illustrate how your research will advance comprehension in your field of study.
- Study limitations. Here, you have to discuss the main limitations of the study you conducted. Try and do this as honestly as you can but remember to elaborate on your study findings' usefulness despite the apparent limitations.
- Suggest the next steps that can advance comprehension and enhance real-world situations. It becomes possible to imagine what possibilities lie in wait by fixing the context to the study.
The process of writing an excellent thesis discussion can become simple. It only requires you to consider the discussed guidelines.